On Being A Blood Stem Cell Donor

Hey y’all!

So, if you know me personally, you know that last year I became a Periphery Blood Stem Cell donor through Be The Match for an anonymous young Black woman with Sickle Cell Anemia. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, even if I had some initial apprehension re: needles, lol.

This Tuesday, I had the pleasure of representing Be The Match on WGCI. Be The Match is doing a huge push for Black History Month for African Americans to join the registry – and here are a couple stats on why:

  • Of the approximately 20 million folks on the registry, 1 million are African American.
  • African Americans have a 23% chance of finding a match, as opposed to 77% for Caucasians. (and the numbers are better but still not great for Hispanic and Asian folks).

Check out the audio of my interview on WGCI below as well as some visual stats after the jump and please, please, PLEASE consider joining the registry HERE. You can literally offer someone a second chance at life!

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s